Skip to main content

Another curry: barramundi with chickpeas and spinach.

Barramundi is one of the great fish and at just under $10 a kilogram it was a bargain.

I seem to be going through a curry phase at the moment, I just love it.

So I sweated a chopped onion, a clove of garlic (scored) and some ginger chopped into thin slivers for a few minutes in oil and then added a teaspoon each of garam masala, cumin, hot curry powder and ground coriander seeds. Two cups of water into the mix and set it to simmer.

After a while, I added a can of drained chickpeas and some chopped spinach which T. had brought home from the school garden. I also sliced a red chile pepper and dropped that in, not knowing how hot it was going to be. (It's very confusing, every chile I pick has a different heat level, I must read up on chiles.)

While that was bubbling away I put on some basmati rice - yes! we have rice! I went shopping! - (two cups boiling water to one cup rice, simmer, ready in ten minutes) and sliced the barramundi into generous cubes. Into the curry it went. Good fish doesn't need long to cook and the pieces stay succulent and plump.

It was delicious. But the chile wasn't hot at all, just warmish. (This curry could be made richer with coconut cream, but sometimes I just like it plain.)

Comments