Skip to main content

What I burnt last night.

Everyone burns things occasionally, but if you really want to do the job right, burn some lentil soup.

Man, those lentils turned black and set as hard as a rock. I think I just invented a new element. Lentillae Solidae Pottus Carbonus.

It was a good soup. When it was soup, before it became a tectonic plate.

Sweet potato, two odd-shaped carrots from the garden, a sprinkling of cummin. And the lentils - red lentils.

Smooth, deep orange, creamy and with just a warm glow of spice. Delicious. With a swirl of greek yogurt and a scattering of black pepper on top. And some turkish bread on the side.

I did think I had turned off the stove. But I didn't. I left it on. Low, but on.

An hour or two later, the smell of molten lava hit my nostrils.

It wasn't molten anymore. Back in the '60s, my father used to mix his own cement, sand and screenings to make concrete. He would have been proud.

Now what do I do with the pot? I might try vinegar and bi-carb soda.

Or I might just throw it out the back door and go buy another one.

Comments