Skip to main content

After-school crepes.

I picked Canisha up from school, 3.15pm Friday. The bell rang and the children emerged from the red brick building like happy ants, laughing in the bright sunshine, glad of another weekend.

'Will mummy remember that you are picking me up today, Pops?' she said anxiously. 'She won't forget - and turn up here - and wonder where I am?'

- I don't think so, sweetie.

When we got home: 'Can I use the telephone, Poppy?'

- Of course you may, sweetie.

She called her mother. 'I didn't want you to panic,' she said into the phone.

Almost eight and such adult consideration from one so small. So sweet.

*

We made crepes. They are the easiest thing in the world.

Plain flour in a mixing bowl. Stir through an egg and enough milk for a runny consistency. Canisha did this part.

Ladle, into a pan - greased or non-stick - and over a hot stove, enough so that the mixture extends almost to the edges. Help it along with a twirl of the pan. Gently lift the edges as it cooks before your eyes. See - it doesn't stick. Shake the pan and the crepes slide around.

Flip. Children love the theatre of this. It's easy. Just takes a bit of practice. So what if your early attemtps end up on the floor? That just makes them laugh. It's all part of the show.

Then flip them onto the plate. Stacked or rolled up, your choice.

We rolled them up and sprinkled them with caster sugar and Canisha squeezed a lemon and poured the lemon juice over the crepes.

You won't find a better after-school snack.

*

Canisha finished her second plate of crepes and then went off to watch William having his bath.

More theatre.

Comments

  1. hey pop I read it at home and I loved it and mum loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a post about pancakes with lemon and sugar on Shrove Tuesday, and it was surprising how man people in other countries had never heard of that combination. I thought it was a classic, but obviously not!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked it Canisha!

    Niki, lemon crepes are fantastic, I'm surprised they are not more well known.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment