Ruminations and recipes from a small kitchen in a big city.

17.5.10

1001 Nights.

This is the one thousand and first item posted to this weblog. I would never have known, except that blogger tells you how many posts you've made at the top of the edit page. A thousand dinners were always bound to become a little repetitive; hence regular digressions into observation and outright opinionism.

Of course, this blogging thing is just a lazy way to keep a diary. My paper diaries date to 1970. I kept them. They're in a box somewhere, a mixed assortment of Landseer, Folio, Collins, Vane and other types including the old National Bank of Australia notebooks issued to schools in the 1970s. I always wanted to commit events and thoughts to paper. I don't know why. The fear that I might forget? Can't be that. I have a memory like an elephant's. Ironically, I detested writing and hated writing essays at school.

Now I enjoy it. But it helps that somewhere, someone might be reading this. So thank you to everyone who visits this weblog. And now for the second millennium of web posts...

7 comments:

paula said...

well, congratulations! i too love the idea of recording things. what a lovely record of life for your kids. my grandfather kept 70+ years of farming diaries. after he died i looked up the date in 1968 when i was born (egocentric, i know...) he wrote "kay's daughter born". jeez, don't over sentimentalise it too much pappy! keep on writing.

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Wow, 1001 is a nice number. And I have thoroughly enjoyed reading along. Congrats!

selena said...

Great and thank you! I feel the same way about the journaling: heaps of notebooks all shapes and sizes dating back since I was under ten and all stashed in boxes and stacks over a few houses. I love reading so please keep it up.

Diane said...

Congratulations! I'm a journaler as well...on rainy Saturdays it's interesting to go back and read a sample or two of the past, if only to see how you've changed (or not, as the case may be!).

Cindy said...

Congratulations, Kitchen Hand! I don't understand the compulsion to catalogue, but I sure feel it too.

breadchick said...

WHOO HOO!! Congratulations on your 1001 post.

kitchen hand said...

Thank you all!