But first, the recipe.
Poached salmon and greens.
You don't need to mess around with Tasmanian Atlantic salmon too much. Fish doesn't get much better than salmon and it is economic, holding its density and shape while staying tender; where basa, for example, seems to melt away to nothing.
I placed four salmon fillets in a bowl with a few shakes of soy, a teaspoon of powdered ginger and a chopped garlic clove and put it in the fridge for a few hours.
I poached the fish gently in a non-stick pan with a lid, adding a little water. Meanwhile, I wok-tossed two bunches of choy sum, a dozen chopped spring onions and a handful of trimmed snowpeas in some peanut oil and a few drops of sesame oil until they were sweating lurid green and still snapping; not to the wilt stage.
Then I cooked some fresh udon noodles, drained them, added them to the wok, and folded them through with a dash of oyster sauce.
Noodles and greens on serving plates; fish fillets on top.
Kitchen Hand's Top Ten Best Summer Songs Ever Recorded.
1. Summer in the City - The Lovin' Spoonful. Complete with jackhammer and a band member's Volkswagen in the mix.
2. Summertime- the Zombies. Pick your own version of the Gershwin lullaby.
3. Summer Wind - Frank Sinatra. The master.
4. Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochrane. What it feels like to work on a summer day.
5. A Summer Song - Chad and Jeremy. Sixties psychedelic folk with perfect harmonies.
6. Summer Rain - Johnny Rivers. Hopes and dreams, before they come crashing down.
7. Those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer - Nat King Cole. The 1950s expressed, by the other King.
8. Summer Wine - Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood. Drunk on summer.
9. In the Summertime - Mungo Jerry. Best jug band ever.
10. School's Out (For Summer) - Alice Cooper. Shock rocker who wrote touching ballads, which this wasn't.
Kitchen Hand's Top Ten Worst Summer Songs Ever Recorded.
10. Summer Rain - Belinda Carlisle. Annoying enough to be satirised on Top Gear.
9. Summer Holiday - Cliff Richard. Also savaged by British comedians, on The Young Ones.
8. Boys of Summer - Don Henley. Get over it. She's gone. There's plenty more fish in the sea.
7. Summer Love - Sherbert. Horrible repetitive bogan rubbish played too loud in HQ panel vans in 1975.
6. Summer Breeze - Seals & Crofts. Overplayed; so no-one remembers their superior 'I Will Never Pass this Way Again'.
5. Summer Nights – John Travolta & Olivia Newton John. Just destroy the master.
4. Come Said the Boy - Mondo Rock. They didn't dare put 'summer' in the title because it was a rip off of Bobby Golsboro's lyrical and suggestive 'Summer (The First Time)' complete with sand and seventeen.
3. The Other Side of Summer - Elvis Costello. Elvis's glass is half empty, as usual.
2. Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams. Too much detail, thanks Bryan.
and the worst ever:
1.. Summerlove Sensation - Bay City Rollers. God knows what they were doing in the studio between takes.