Skip to main content

That tune in your head.

It goes with you when you leave in the morning, and it comes home with you when you come home, and it’s like a worm in an apple, and it doesn’t leave you alone until another one kicks it out. If it’s bad, it’s a nightmare; but if it’s good, it’s an obsession: and that’s why people make lists. The greatest hits of all time, the top 40, the top 100, the top 500 ‘as voted by our readers, our listeners, our viewers’. But polls are tricky. I kept a bunch of old greatest-ever lists in my files, and one from 1975 commissioned by 3XY had, in its top thirty (of 200) songs of all time, four by the Sweet, three by Sherbert and two by Skyhooks.

Others are based on sales - check some Billboard lists full of obvious million sellers - or attitude: see NME or Rolling Stone. How hip can you get. So I made my own list of songs; some ordinary, some great, some famous, some unknown. But one way or another, they got into my head, and stayed.

Comments

  1. The only Sweet song I know is "Little Willy," and I only know of it because it was referenced in an Australian murder mystery called "Joy Cometh with the Mourning." (I recommend it if you like cozy mysteries.) I listened to the song on YouTube and it's catchy as heck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh now Wait. A. Minute. They did "Love Is Like Oxygen"?? I did not know that. Not saying it was a great song, but I sure do remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neither of those songs did anything here. Fox on the Run charted, which made me indignant as they stole the title from a vastly superior Manfred Mann 1960s hit ....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment