Skip to main content

Way too many green beans.

They seem to be good at the market at the moment. They must be in season. Either that or they truck them in from Queensland or somewhere.

There are huge piles of them on the market tables, sometimes two or three still stuck together on their little piece of vine. Old ladies pick through them for the most succulent ones - they are bright green with a kind of translucent sheen (the beans, I mean).

Coincidentally T. and I came home with a bagful each. We like our green beans.

So we ate beans. We had some simply boiled well, then tossed in butter and a sprinkling of curry powder. Nice with a squirt of lemon juice.

*

For Sunday lunch I did this:

Beat six eggs.

Topped and tailed green beans. Boiled them well.

Poured egggs carefully into the pan I thought would I most likely be able to extricate eggs from after cooking without it all breaking up. I've had omelette disasters in my time. (I chose a non-stick one and oiled it with olive oil just to be sure.)

Placed the beans carefully into the eggs, cartwheel style.

Covered the top with strips of thinnest prosciutto.

Cooked it for about 15 minutes on a low heat to avoid burning it. I covered it with a lid from another pan, as the non-stick one hasn't one. When it was done, I lifted the lid and all the eggs were puffed up.

That was it. Sunday lunch. With thick slices of fresh vienna bread and butter and a nice rocket salad with tomato, olives, fetta, balsamic dressing ...

... and a few steamed green beans.


*

My mother used to cook beans until they were grey and soft. Of course, as we grew up, we would discover fashionable al dente cooking and underboil everything so your sides with the roast were never sure whether they were meant to be salad items or boiled vegetables! I must say, the grey, soft approach did have its appeal on reflection. The beans developed a kind of earthy taste that the snappin' fresh blanched ones just don't ...


Comments