Skip to main content

I'm tired. I don't know what to cook. And why am I in the supermarket?

Sometimes you (meaning, of course, 'I' or even the Royal first-person form 'one') just do (does) not know what you (I/one) are (am/is) going to cook.

[That is probably the single most complicated sentence I have ever written. I just have this thing about the English language and how complex it is. For ease of expression I'll use 'you.']

And then you just happen to be walking through the supermarket to pick up something totally unrelated to eating, like some laundry detergent because you've been using dishwashing liquid in the wash for several days or four litres of motor oil because the low oil pressure warning lamp flickers on every time you turn left or maybe you've even forgotten why you went there in the first place ... when suddenly something jumps out at you and says, 'Dinner idea!'.

Last night that happened to me and it was a piece of ling, which is usually rockling but can also be pink ling or any one of several other fish.

I think I've had this discussion before.

Anyway, it looked good and I have learned to recognise a good piece of fish when I see it.

I took my piece of ling home, a nice plump semi-translucent fillet of about 500 grams or a pound if you still speak fahrenheit.

Into the steamer it went. Alongside, a finely sliced zucchini and an onion chopped into rounds. A dash of fish sauce, a very generous squirt of soy and a sprinkling of powdered ginger on the fish.

It simmered away for fifteen minutes and was done. Meanwhile, I cooked some dried noodles (Nikko multigrain - wheat/corn/barley/buckwheat/sorghum: nutty, robust and delicious, not squishy and tasteless like some noodles).

Noodles on the plates, steamed fish on top and zucchini and onion to garnish. With some the reduced steaming water infused with the soy and ginger as a sauce.

Just a dinner idea I came up with.

Or maybe it was the ling.

I still can't remember why I was in the supermarket.

Comments