What is the difference between herbs and spices?
I researched the question. Nobody agrees. Here are some of the answers I found:
* Herbs are grown in the northern hemisphere; spices in the southern. (That makes the parsley in my garden a spice. Unlikely.)
* Herbs are medicinal; spices are not. (Like brandy is medicinal and vodka is just for fun?)
* Herbs are the leaves; spices are the seeds. (What about cinnamon? Isn't that the bark of a sub-tropical tree?)
* Herbs are or used to be green; spices are not. (I like this simplistic theory - it would save a lot of argument if it were true.)
* If it's in a brown jar it's a spice; if it's in a yellow jar, it's a(n) herb. (Mine are in assorted plastic tubs, cello packets and screw-top clear glass jars.)
And from The Guardian:
* A Herb is a respected jazz musician; a Spice is one of five talentless C-grade celebrities.
Help me out, please, with serious or not so serious opinions.