Skip to main content

Seven TV chefs, and why I liked them, in exactly ten words.

1. Stefano Di Pieri. Genuine Italian cuisine in an outback city by the Murray.

2. Antonio Carluccio. Travelogue more than cooking show, a delicious journey through Italy.

3. Two Fat Ladies. Repartee, eccentricity, political incorrectness and wonderful fat-laden British food.

4. Nigella Lawson. Do I have to explain? No, I didn't think so.

5. Ken Hom. Introduced me to Chinese cooking, along with David Wang's cafe.

6. Ian Parmenter. Chef makes 450 TV shows; retires to Margaret River vineyard.

7. Delia Smith. Beautifully simple cooking including the basics. No annoying background music.

Who did - or do - you like?

Comments

  1. Gary Rhodes. Stylish show. Fresh, simple, easy to prepare food, great music

    A chef I didn't like
    Nick Nairn. Manic presentation. Talks and moves too fast. Just slow down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Nigella, too. A) She's just fun to watch. B) She cooks like I do at home. C) The Husband likes to watch her with me.

    I am no fool as to why, either.


    Jaques Pepin. Because - I just love him.

    Lidia Bastianich. Fabulous, fabulous food.

    Ming Tsai. Refreshing, delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the early Nigella. Her last series (Christmas themed) was just way over the top. Spent much of it laughing at the ridiculous nature of it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lesley, yes: Nick Nairn was quite manic. I liked the locations.

    FW, I like the Lidia Bastianich concept of the whole family joining in.

    Kim, I think some TV chefs wonder where to go next with their shows, others keep exactly the same formula.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to see Tamasin Day-Lewis. I only saw one episode, on a dodgy television set in a hotel room in New Zealand and she was uber-bossy - it made me laugh. She writes beautifully and I love her books.

    Loved the Two Fat Ladies. And I was very sad recently when Bernard King died! He always made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Lucy, Tamasin Day-Lewis is a great writer - her book Tarts With Tops On ranks as one of the best-named cookbooks ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to love Nigella, I really do, one of my mates adores her. But how she conducted herself when her husband was dying left a bad taste in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neil, I know that was a very public and much-discussed series of events that ran very close together; however, I do have sympathy for Nigella. She carried herself well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. #1 of telly cooks: Two Fat Ladies.

    #1 of teely cooks I'd like to root: Nigella Lawson. Yeah, I know, take a number.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment