Ruminations and recipes from a small kitchen in a big city.

14.3.12


One discounted 60 cent packet of seeds from Bunnings two years ago resulted in these. I kept the flower heads from the first crop and scattered the dried seeds last spring. Up came the tallest sunflowers I have ever raised, upwards of seven feet with flowers the size of dinner plates.

The picture was taken a month ago. Yesterday I disposed of the dried stalks. I had to saw them. They had made great staves when green and pliable; the boys had medieval battles and then pole-vaulted around the front garden.

I put half the heads in brown bags in the shed. Birds had already got to the rest and eaten the lot.

3 comments:

Melbourne Girl said...

They look amazing. It's funny what pops up isn't it.....we've been putting some of our compost on the roses and have had a lot of tomatoes pop up. They've been delicious too!
Can't wait to see what next years compost produces.

kitchen hand said...

I saw some even bigger ones in a street nearby, AMG.

jo said...

JEALOUS! Those little grey furry tailed buggers always foil my sunflower growing attempts.