Skip to main content

Meme replies make interesting reading.

Replies to my 'one book' post turned up in comments where they might have been missed, so I'm sure my correspondents won't mind if I post them here.

From Melbourne Girl:
I loved Race of a Lifetime, which is all about the run up to the 2008 presidential election.

I started Lindsay Tanner's "Sideshow" and got about a third of the way through and thought I really need to be in the right frame of mind to read it, so put it down. The same with Flat Earth News by Nick Davies.

There are some books you need to be in the right mood for.

A few books have made me cry, but the first was a novel about kids on a farm that was hit by a bushfire. I read it as a kid and I remember the animals in it perished in the fire. I thought it was by Colin Thiele, but I'm not so sure now. Not really sure who wrote it but it's stayed with me.

I'm not sure a book really ever changed my life, but I do remember "Catcher In the Rye" pretty vividly...and I've always gone back to Pride and Prejudice.

Beside my bed right now...
The Good Soldiers by David Finkel
Death Sentence by Don Watson
Damn Good Advice for People With Talent by George Lois
The Brain that Changes Itself - Norman Doig....a couple of cook books with nice pictures....some magazines about decor and recipes... and my trashy indulgence, Morning Glory by Lavyrle Spencer.

From Dr. Alice:

1. One book that changed your life.
Peg Bracken's I Hate To Cook Book. I read this when I was six or seven (my mother had a copy) and I loved the illustrations and the writing. I have been a cookbook reader ever since.

2. One book you have read more than once.
That would be just about every book I've ever read! But I will list Happy All the Time by Laurie Colwin. It's a happy, but not sappy, romance and a comedy of manners. I read it whenever I'm feeling down.

3. One book you would want on a desert island.
I'll go with War and Peace, as that would be the only scenario I can think of where I would be likely to finish it.

4. One book that made you cry.
Laurie Colwin again - Family Happiness. It's written from the point of view of a woman, starved of attention and affection by her family, who falls into an affair. Parts of it are heartwrenching.

5. One book that made you laugh.
Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse. I dare anyone to read Gussie Fink-Nottle's speech to the students of Market Snodsbury Grammar School and not laugh. It's impossible.

6. One book you wish had been written.
How To Get in Shape Without Dieting or Exercising. By anyone.

7. One book you wish had never had been written.
Scarlett, the accursed sequel to Gone With the Wind.

8. One book you are currently reading.
Mysterious Island, by Jules Verne. I downloaded it free for Kindle - there is a reason to get an e-reader, there are a lot of free classics out there! I am finding it quite fascinating and plan to do a blog post on it soon.
9. One book you have been meaning to read.
Oh man, there are a lot. But I'll say John Adams by David McCullough.

Comments