Skip to main content

I would have just called them Little Cabbages.

This following recipe is surprisingly good - if you like Brussels sprouts. (Why did someone name a noble member of the exalted brassica family after the headquarters of the European 'Union'?

Hmmm. Anyway. Brussels sprouts are nevertheless one of my very favourite vegetables. When I was growing up, they were one of the Big Three brassicas: Cabbage, Cauliflower and B. Sprouts. One of the three accompanied just about every meal, cooked extremely well.

But we never ate them with pasta.

But nowadays I do.

Like this:

Cook some rigatoni until al-dente or al-soft, whichever you prefer. I prefer soft. Pasta is nicer squishy. Sorry, pasta purists.

Meanwhile, plunge some quartered Sproutes Bruxelles (my translation, not necessarily correct) into some boiling water and boil them until they soften but not until they turn grey (hello, Mum!).

Now, quickly drain the sprouts and toss them in some melted butter, ground black pepper and garlic in a pan. The melted butter, pepper and garlic is important.

Drain the pasta. Toss the peppered, buttered, garlicky sprout quarters over the pasta. Now take out your little jar of anchovies-in-oil you've been saving for a special pasta dish and drape several of those salty, fishy, delectable marvels over the pasta.

This is nice when you've been having heavy protein-based meals and you want something healthy yet satisfying, homely and tasty.

But you have to love Brussels Sprouts.

Sorry if I've offended any Belgiques.

I did enjoy Agatha Christie's Monsieur Poirot, if that's any consolation.

Comments

  1. Mmmmmmm..... I love Brussel Sprouts!

    I like mine sauteed with bacon and apple.

    I like them smothered in a cheese sauce.

    I like them in salad form... cut in half and blanch. Chunk up some German sausage and fry until caramelized. Toss both together with slices of cooked red potato and blend it all with a nice mustardy/oily dressing.

    A little green onion for good measure is a nice touch, too.


    I also like them halved, blanched, and served with Bagna Cauda.



    I need to go to the green market!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Brussels sprouts, too. I think they are a very underrated vegetable. Laurie Colwin has a recipe for Marinated Brussels Sprouts which is similar to the idea above, but just the sprouts, no sausage or potato, and served on arugula. (a.k.a. 'rocket'.) I like lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and a dash of Tabasco for dressing but mustard is a great idea!

    Re: Agatha Christie, if her character Mrs. Oliver the detective writer is any indication, the Belgians weren't too crazy about Hercule Poirot. This alter ego character of hers is always going on about how people critique her Finnish detective ("I've made him say things a Finn couldn't possibly say"). I think that was Christie's chance to vent. But who cares, I love Hercule Poirot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love em too, mostly just done cooked with bacon and onion. Or honey and mustard, or just plain on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to try the red potato idea, Food Whore, although they all sound great.

    Dr Alice, I love it when writers write writers into their work (Chandler's Roger Wade) - they give them all the best lines.


    Sue, if you like them plain, you would have loved growing up in our household!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My father's family are Italian, and he was born in Belgium, so there was a large risk I could kick up a big stinky...but I agree with you about soft pasta. I much prefer it that way. I like the wetness in my mouth (errrrr...) rather than the drier al dente.
    I tried baking brussels sprouts recently, and they did nothing to convert me - just intensified the sulphorous taste. But steamed lightly, with butter and a little nutmet - now that was much better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Niki, I thought it was just me about succulent, wet, delicious, homely pasta.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment