Skip to main content

It's all in my head.

The mind can remember up to seven separate items and then it struggles. I heard that theory somewhere, not sure where. I start to struggle around five. Sometimes four.

So I go to the supermarket with seven things to remember.

Yogurt. Timber polish for the 1930s Tasmanian Oak wardrobe, currently stored in the garage, that will resume storage duties at the new house. Shoe laces for a pair of running shoes that are still perfectly good but have gone through several pairs of laces. Clean up your act, shoelace manufacturers. A can of one of T.'s favourite comfort foods, Tom Piper Rice Cream. Milk. Bread. What else ... I'm right on memory capacity. Oh yes, something for dinner.

(Why write a shopping list when this is such a great way to preserve your mental faculties? I could always read the daily newspaper, but where's the intellectual stimulation in that?)

Where was I? In the spice aisles. Heh. We're feeling a little jaded so I'm looking for something tasty that won't take a heap of work. That Massaman curry paste looks nice. All I need are some chicken thigh fillets and a can of coconut milk.

*

It's getting late so while T. holds a conversation with W., prior to the latter's bedtime, which is stabilising very nicely, although daytime sleep patterns are still wildly askew, I quickly made the curry.

Chop an onion, brown it a little, add the Massaman paste (deliciously spicy, not too hot, just the thing to pick up that tired palate), stir it round, rip the top off the coconut milk, go to pour it in the pan, notice it has 'bits' in it, arrest the arm at the top of the upswing position a hundredth of a second before the Tom Piper Rice Cream goes into the curry.

I don't know, it might have been OK, a little sweet, but T. would not have enjoyed a can of coconut milk for supper.

*

The rest of the recipe, nothing to it: cook the coconut milk into the Massaman paste then add sliced chicken thigh pieces. Meanwhile boil some cubed potatoes until three quarters done and add them to the sauce. Cook until done. Serve. Jasmine rice and maybe a salad of red capsicum, cucumber and yogurt on the side. Cold beer on the other.

(Genuine Asian pastes are available at Asian groceries and some larger supermarkets and are a great alternative if you don't have all the spices necessary for the various regional curries and other dishes. And, of course, they are far better than most of those horrendous jars of cook-in sauces. I mean, Stir-Fry Tonight, WHAT IS THAT?! Not that I'm a food snob or anything.

Comments

  1. Sounds yummy.

    I made something similar the other day, but minus the potatoes. Quite moreish.

    I've also made it with king prawns and chopped coriander and spring onions. Delish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimbofo, I like the sound of the king prawns and coriander. Prawns are inexpensive here right now, I might try it.

    Violet, being a food snob makes occasional convenience food taste GREAT! Imagine if you ate it every day, it would be so boring. (I think this is some kind of reverse food psychology!)

    PS: Speaking of being forgetful, I forgot the final ingredient for the massaman curry: crushed peanuts added to the sauce. Apologies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried Rice Cream; the name has always put me off (plus I don't like sweet ricey things. I can't stand rice purdding...)
    I'm with you on the stir-fry tonight. Plus it's a sure-fire route to early diabetes. There's more sugar in one of those jars than a piece of cake or handful of biscuits. In fact, the cake or biscuits are probably better for you!
    Shhhh.....I love Gravox powdered gavy mix. Hardly ever have it, but when it's thick and poured over grilled lamb chops and mashed potato....oooooh that's heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, Niki - Gravox! On lamb's fry and bacon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment