Skip to main content

Recipe overload.

It happens every time, and it happened this time.

I read this great recipe and thought, I'll do that. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe next week. It sounds great. I have all the ingredients.

Then tomorrow or next week comes and I decide to make the recipe and so I go back to the book where I read it - the one about Indian cooking by Madhur Jaffrey - the second one from the left on the second bottom shelf. Easy.

Check index ... scan contents ... OK, just thumb through the whole book, I'll remember it by the picture. Not there. Must have been the third book from the left - the one about barbecues by Steve Raichlen. Or the third from the right, Margaret Fulton's Recipes of Australia. Or the Italian one by Carluccio. Or Tarts With Tops On by Tamasin Day-Lewis. Or Cooking for Juniors, the book my older kids made their first pancakes from.

No luck with the books. Maybe it was in yesterday's paper, the food liftout, where readers write in with their favourite recipes and there's always recipes for cheese scones and chicken with apricot and curried sausages with pineapple and caramel fudge.

Maybe I read it on the internet. Check history of visited pages. Check a few food blogs. Check a few normal blogs. Read blogs instead, forget about stupid recipe. Takeaway sounds good.

*

That night, I had one of those four-in-the-morning moments where you sit up in bed and remember.

I had seen the recipe on the back of a packet of jasmine rice on the third shelf in the second aisle at the supermarket.

And I didn't even buy the rice.

And I don't remember the recipe. Except that it was a kind of curried something ... maybe with pineapple ... or was it chicken?

Comments

  1. Oh my God this is so familiar! It's the waking up with a start at 4am that always get's me. I sympathise completely

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the distinction you make between normal blogs and food blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep a notepad handy, and when you find that recipe that you will cook tomorrow/next week/next month jot down the page number and name of the book.

    Its a theory anyway. I end up with about a 50% hit rate. But if anyone else has any ideas - i would like to know. A way you could catalog every recipe from every book/magazine/scrap paper thats sitting in the ever increasing pile.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment