Skip to main content

Stop me if you've heard it before.

The blog is entitled What I Cooked Last Night and it's been running nearly four years? You'll forgive me if I repeat myself.

You'll also forgive that I occasionally wander off into another realm like a charged proton blundering into another dimension - posting pictures of cars or children or broken teapots or clouds; complaining about ugly buildings or celebrity shopping bags; narrating the trivialities of a cocktail party at Docklands or a holiday in Queenscliff or a dinner at Mother's or my plate collection.

Then again, some people eat the same thing for each night of the week - fish on Friday, baked beans on toast Saturday, roast on Sunday. Your blog would end in seven days.

The recipe below is a favourite. You might have seen it before. But there's no escaping the truth: it's what I cooked last night.

Pasta with chicken, red capsicum and avocado.

Cube a chicken breast fillet. Slice a red capsicum into one inch strips. Chop some button mushrooms into four. Simmer these gently with a scored garlic clove on a low heat in a tightly lidded pan with a dash of oil, a tablespoonful of white wine and some cracked pepper.

The mushrooms will exude fluid, the capsicum will steam, the chicken will poach. You want the chicken to cook to opaqueness, not sear. This will take around twelve minutes. You might need to turn the chicken cubes. After you do this and before you replace the lid, place slices of avocado over the cooking chicken and vegetables so that it warms through.

Cook some pasta - bavette, designed for pesto, is perfect. (I had some snow peas left over from the other night so I threw these into the cooking pasta a minute before draining so they stayed crunchy.)

Drain the pasta when cooked. Fold some pesto through the cooked chicken and vegetables, then spoon the mixture over the pasta. Decorate with shards of parmesan.

Drink a bold, oaky chardonnay. The rich flavours of this dish will overpower anything too delicate.

Comments

  1. When you say red capsicum, does that always infer a hot pepper not, for instance, a red bell pepper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. An oldie but a goodie! It's always the tried and true recipes we return to isn't it? I've tried this one and it's yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Au contraire, Jo: I mean red bell pepper.

    Lesley, yes, I like the comfort of looking forward to familiar pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious. Perfect midweek dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds delicious. I got away from reading your blog for over a year perhaps (silly life getting in the way of staring at a computer screen). Congrats on 4 years blogging and what sounds like a new son from what I've read so far. Another of your recipes from perhaps 2 years ago that we really enjoy and make often in your Guiness Beef Stew. Just thinking about it now, and I'm mentally adding the ingrediants to my shopping list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Becky - great to have you back. I'd forgotten about that beef stew - I might post it again for newer readers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made it and it was good. I have to admit, the taste is quite unusual and strong - must be the combination of mushrooms and peppers. But we all loved it. I especially loved the flavour that the chicken gets from pouching in mushroom-wine broth. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment