Skip to main content

Ten pots until Spring #3: Congee with fish, ginger and coriander.

6am. The windscreen was iced up again. It’s the time of year: winter is losing the battle during the day, so it bites back at night. While it still can. I crunched across the icy front lawn and around to the side of the house where the gas meter is and found the watering can and filled it up at the front garden tap. A week or so ago, on a similarly cold morning, I had tried hosing the ice off the car, but the pressure busted the connection. The hose was frozen. I should have known. So let's try the watering can. I poured the water over the 'screen, splashing half of the freezing water over myself, and crunched across the grass again and put the watering can back in its place. Then I walked back to the car and got in. My fingers were not quite frozen. I could feel the keys as I turned the car on. Just.

The day turned out sunny but stayed cold. I made congee. Here’s how.

Congee with ginger, fish and coriander.

How much rice and how much water? One part rice to sixteeen parts water in volume seems to be the generally accepted ratio. So let’s say half a cup of long grain rice and eight cups of water.

Rinse the rice and set it in cold water overnight with plenty of salt and a dash of oil. (No salt, please, if you're cooking it for children.)

Next day, drain the water and place the rice in a pot with the fresh water. Bring to the boil, turn down heat, add a dozen or so slivers of fresh ginger and simmer for about an hour and a half until smooth.

Towards the end, add pieces of white-fleshed boneless fish, small enough to be fished out of the soup with chopsticks. Or a fork. When the fish is just done, serve the congee in big bowls. Garnish with finely chopped spring onion or dried fried onion. I like it with chopped coriander, sliced preserved ginger and a dash of very hot dried chili ground with oil and an anchovy. Now, that has a bite.

Accompany with jasmine tea.

Of course, if you can't be bothered making congee, you can always try it at one of my favourite Asian eateries, Wing Loong in Heffernan Lane.

Comments

  1. Congee must be one of my favourite meals.

    Haven't been to Wing Loong. Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a bowl of fish congee a couple of weeks ago at Supper Inn. I can't go there without eating it. But maybe this will inspire me to make some myself at home! Do you know if you can make it in a rice cooker?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's my favourite place, Lucy.

    AOF, I'm sure you can make it in a rice cooker but I use a heavy pot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment