Skip to main content

The barramundi.

High Street runs north forever. If you keep going it eventually joins the Hume Highway so you could end up in Sydney if you kept driving, or Brisbane for that matter, but I stopped in Preston where cheap cafes, two-dollar junk shops and hot bread stores glare at each other across the busy narrow road. A taxi was trying to nose out from the kerb, so I waved it on and pulled in behind it and parked. We got out into the hot dusty street, walked twenty metres, pushed open a glass door and entered a dim, cool, quiet place. It was just on midday, a late-summer Tuesday.

We sat right next to the fish tanks. We always sit next to the fish tanks. It amuses the children and sometimes I think it amuses the fish.

In one tank, two barramundi were making lazy right-angle turns around each other, and in the other several lobsters were piled up like a train wreck in a corner, but they were just having a group hug, antennae waving about like gladioli in the front row of a Dame Edna Everage performance. The lobsters took no notice of the tranquil warehou with a vacant stare that hung above them like an aimless blimp. Two fishnets sat on top of the tanks waiting for the next order.

A waiter had a flask and cups on the table almost before we had finished sitting down. It takes a minute or two with children. I poured tea. We ordered, but not fish. Not today.

I usually eat the same thing when we eat out. It’s not that I’m not adventurous, but there’s a particular kind of satisfaction to be gained in enjoying something you’ve come to know and like. Most places, I don’t even read the menu.

This time, I ordered from the display case near the front door, opposite the miniature Buddhist temple made of plastic and stuck with burnt-out jasmine incense sticks. The display case had a return that cornered the front chop-chop chef’s work area and fronted onto the street, so that passers-by could see what they were missing out on. Over the chef’s head in the front window hung roasted ducks the colour of red varnish. Every now and then the chef took one down from its S-peg, wielded his chopper and sent a plateful of peking duck off the kitchen to be finished.

A barramundi watched open-mouthed and motionless as the waiter placed on our table an oval platter of Chinese broccoli, shiny with oyster sauce, along with a plate of cantonese beef and vegetables on rice, a bowl of szechuan chicken’s feet, two steaming bowls of rice, a small dish of chilli flakes in oil, two sets of chopsticks, and two forks.

The barramundi shut his mouth and moved off again, having seen it all before.

The chicken's feet were tasty and gelatinous, and its szechuan chilli was a slow burn rather than a bushfire. Perfect. And cheap: the waiter had explained apologetically that the price of the dish was one dollar more when eaten at the table than you pay for take-away. That made it $5.50, demonstrating the efficiency of eating the whole animal, rather than just eating the breast and the leg and throwing away the rest. They call it nose-to-tail or beak-to-claw, but it just makes sense. But you have to like chicken’s feet. That’s the sticking point. Most people don’t. They don’t even like the name. They don’t like the idea of eating something with the word ‘feet’ in its title. They’ll gladly take a warm mousseline of something stuffed with a cave-cured something else with shards of sorrel-infused pickled walnut, deep-fried julienne of mugwort and a frisson of hollandaise made from the eggs of free range Cape Barren Geese and set upon a buckwheat raviolo rolled out of organic emmer flour and stuffed with an unthreatened yet completely rare and expensive fish species. But chicken’s feet? No! Shudder!

The place is huge. The waiters must walk miles every shift. There are two entrances: the one at the front off High Street, and another via a passageway through to the market at the back. There are twenty large round tables, each capable of seating up to twelve people, and smaller ones around the walls. The smaller ones are where the regulars sit. A shriveled Chinese lady who must have been pushing ninety sat at one, leaning over a bowl that was bigger than her head. There was one of those four-wheeled pensioner shopping trolleys next to her table and it was fully loaded and she was obviously refuelling. From out of the almost clear soup in her bowl she hauled out a procession of delicacies including items from the animal and vegetable groups. At a larger table was a group of real estate agents – no, not the ones seen in Coburg last week – and they were slurping up soup and noodles in between talking on telephones and one of them spilt a drop of soup on his perfect yellow tie and looked at it with a hurt expression as if about to cry.

William and Thomas ate their rice and some beef from Tracy’s plate and declined my chickens’ feet – not that I would really have given them any due to the small bones – and then they ate some Chinese broccoli which is their favourite vegetable and mine, especially in fine oyster sauce and a drop of sesame oil and a sprinkling of sesame seeds.

The old Chinese lady had finished her soup and left the restaurant, pushing her heavily-laden shopping trolley into High Street without any trouble at all. We drained the tea flask. It was a hot day and you have to keep up your fluids. I had a fine bead of sweat from the warm burn of the chilli.

There was only one barramundi in the fish tank now, and it looked lonely, but fish always look lonely. As we got up from the table, a waiter came out of the kitchen bearing a large platter that sizzled with ginger and garlic and fish sauce aromas and there was a large, glistening, scaly mound in the middle. He took it to the real estate agents’ table.

We paid the bill and I pulled open the heavy glass door. Outside in High Street it was still hot and dusty, and a north wind was blowing, probably all the way from Sydney.


C-Culture seafood and barbecue Chinese restaurant
437 High St, Preston


  1. I'm still waiting for your book. Who needs pictures.
    I am curious to hear a non-Asians perspective on what it is like to eat chicken feet. I have not been presented with the opportunity, but were I, I would like to know what to expect.

  2. Hi KH....I am a lover of chicken feet, and wouldn't have shared mine with anyone even if they could have handled the small bones. ( My son in law also likes them so when we are together in Melbourne we manage to disgust the whole family!)

  3. I like to order familiar dishes too. Gone are the days when I needed to try an entire menu, how often was it that friends ordered the dishes I really wanted.

  4. They are kind of gelatinous, Jo ... like tripe!

    White Dove, do you cook them yourself? If so, you are one ahead of me.

    Neil, those conversations ... "No, I'm having that, why don't you order something different ..."

  5. No....KH....have never cooked chicken feet, but have a childhood memory of chicken feet floating in a great pot of chicken soup,(together with gizzard and giblets) on my grandmothers wood burning stove, beside the enamel coffee pot and loaves of bread baking in the oven beside the roast chicken that had been running around the yard only a matter of hours ago. The smell of it all was sooooo great!

  6. Hey, that sounds like my gerandmother ...


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The fish that time forgot.

Smoked cod is still available in the fish section of the deli at the supermarket. You just don’t notice it any more. It’s the only fish that has been stocked continuously since the 1950s. I never see anyone buy it. People take numbers and line up for banana prawns and Tasmanian Atlantic salmon and ling and oysters and scallops and that rendered substance they call crab stick, but never the cod . Further, I’ve never seen smoked cod served outside my own kitchen. It is the world’s only food never to have been served in a restaurant . Nor have I ever encountered smoked cod at a dinner party. Plenty of other smoke; smoked salmon, smoked ricotta, smoked beef, smoked gruyère, smoked eel, and in the old days, smoke itself in a couple of varieties; but smoked cod, no. Most tellingly, my mother, who in 1968, when she had seven children at home aged from brand new to seventeen and used to buy several kilograms of the stuff she called 'Cape Cod' weekly, has not served smoked cod at her

The new house.

We picked up the keys last week. I had noticed there are no wire screens on the windows and no evidence of any having ever been there. Inside, the window furnishings are 1950s cream venetian blinds, side drapes of gold satin and filmy lace between. All in good order, just a little dusty. I raised the venetians with some difficulty, they appeared not to have been lifted for a long time. Behind them, the double-hung sash windows are original shellacked cedar, twelve throughout the house. Many of the sashes were stuck. I wrestled them for most of the day. Just one failed to respond. The rest eventually squeaked along their vertical tracks. Every counterweight cord was clean and in perfect condition. Regular use should grey the cords because of the oil or metal stain from pulleys. Amazingly, these windows appear not to have been opened for decades.

Sunshine in a tin: Orange Cake.

Late last week, we drove around the big circle from midday to six o'clock. Midday is Melbourne, six o'clock is the house at the beach and Port Phillip Bay is the clockface. (Ships sail in and out of the bay through a very small and extremely dangerous gap between six thirty-six and six thirty-nine.) The days have been cold and overcast. On Friday, the fog over Arthur's Seat refused to move but hung there as if it were loosely tied down, like a wet tarpaulin on a HQ ute. Later, the sun's rays tried a few exploratory pokes through the mist and then gave up. Saturday was brighter. Out early to the market where we bought a few things, bunch of carrots, bag of potatoes, an old book. It's a farmers' market but they have junk as well if you're bored by vegetables. Then an early lunch outside the Blairgowrie café in pale sunshine amidst the usual Saturday tangle of people and prams and newspapers and dogs. In the afternoon I mowed the lawn and pottered about and


Nine-thirty on a glorious late-summer Friday morning, not a cloud in the sky. Twenty-five degrees, a nice fresh salty breeze, not much traffic about, a few shoppers here and there, a delivery van idling in the side street, children back at school, everything back to normal. A man was sitting at a table under a broad umbrella outside the Blairgowrie cafe. He was holding the morning broadsheet out in front of him and he was staring intently at the op-ed page with a deeply furrowed brow. The pug on his knee was also staring at the opinion page but the pug had a mad grin on its face. A waiter brought out a coffee. The man placed the dog gently on the ground with a look that said I'm really, really sorry but coffee is very, very hot and it could burn you if you knock it over. Then the man went on reading the editorials and the pug sat blinking in the sunshine on the end of its leash tied to the leg of the man's chair. The leash was one of those novelty ones you can buy from pet

Cheap vegetable peelers warming the globe: an exclusive Kitchen Hand insight report.

During my recent jaunt around the Victorian countryside, I found myself missing a vegetable peeler, one of the travel essentials I carry in a box in the boot of the car along with salt and pepper, tea and sugar, enamel cups and plates, basic cutlery and a corkscrew. I must have left the peeler in a camping ground or a hotel room. (Vegetable peelers are among mankind’s most lost items: I regularly find several each spring when I turn over the compost bin.) I called into a Coles supermarket in a medium-sized country town, I don’t know, Maryborough or somewhere, and bought a pack of three peelers. I had to buy three because they won't sell you one. The three peelers come affixed to a hanging cardboard display pack; metal-bladed and with red, white and yellow handles respectively. I took them back to where we were staying, untwisted the metal ties with difficulty, removed the first peeler – the red one - and started to scrape a carrot. The blade gave way, crumpling like the bumper

Anyway, they originated in Afghanistan. Or somewhere.

As part of my one-man global campaign to raise the public profile of the humble Brussels sprout, I present the recipe below. I’ve always loved Brussels sprouts. It’s the name I object to. They sound like diminutive Belgians instead of tasty green vegetables with an earthy but mild flavour and a texture that is kind of creamy-soft yet holds together beautifully. Brussels sprouts never go floppy and fall apart like some other vegetables I could name. You can depend on Brussels sprouts. Brussels sprouts with bacon and pine nuts on polenta. Boil, or over-boil, depending on your preference, your sprouts. Dice some very good bacon (as against bad bacon, of which there is plenty around) and sizzle it in a pan until it is almost crisp, at which point throw in some very finely chopped red onion and a handful of pine nuts. Take the pan off the flame after a minute or two or when the pine nuts are just starting to brown. Meanwhile, cook up a pot of polenta. Actually, start the polenta firs

Vespa or Honda? Astarra or VicSuper? Alessi orange juicer or me? I can't decide.

A buzzing noise, like a loud mosquito coming up the street, got closer and then stopped outside my house. The postman reached across the pelargonium hedge to the letterbox and then buzzed away again on his Australia Post Honda motor scooter. (A friend of mine has a Honda scooter; he loves it. He told me it runs on nothing and you don’t look like you’re pretending to be someone when you park it outside a Lygon Street café. You look like a postman going out for coffee instead , I said back to him. Better that than looking like a poseur, he said, and anyway, Vespas break down. We joke like this all the time. It doesn’t mean anything.) I fished the mail out of the letterbox and reminded myself to prune the pelargonium. The first envelope had the name Astarra on the front. The letter inside had a headline that read: Significant Event Notice . That means kiss goodbye to your superannuation in a language spawned by bureaucrat-enforced transparency laws. The rest of the letter was about

What if newspaper editors sacked their restaurant reviewers and employed truck drivers to write them instead?

There’d be less of this: ... the tiramisu is a studied but respectful deconstruction ... mains are artfully strewn ... the decent-enough $54 rib eye steak comes with a sauce (red wine) that I think we paid extra for. ... It's Texas meets Chiang Mai ... comes with mustard ice-cream ... the purist in me is screaming ... truffled butter with the house-baked rolls, an amuse bouche, a pre-dessert palate cleanser ... fish is a better bet if food miles are an issue ... Aztec-inspired dishes informed by his recent six-week field trip ... the menu doesn't follow the typical gradient of antipasti, zuppa, primi piatti, but respects its spirit by moving on to braised goat from the wood oven. And more of this: Bimbo’s is one of the old-timers among the eating places along the Hume Highway. It’s at Bargo, about 60 miles out of Sydney. The roadhouse is close to the highway but there’s a huge parking area alongside, and getting off the road is no problem. Day or night, you’ll always find a cou

A shorter history of the Sunday roast, with a recipe for a rainy Sunday night.

The Sunday roast was a childhood fixture. Let me qualify that. It was a fixture until I was about ten years of age, then it slowly disappeared, like the Latin Mass at about the same time. Perhaps there were too many children to feed. Maybe my mother went through a vegetarian phase, or just couldn’t be bothered doing it any more. I don’t remember. The era passed. While the tradition lasted, the roast was usually ovine. That is to say, sheep. But not lamb. This concept is completely foreign to modern sensibilities: Not lamb? What other kind of edible sheep is there? The same kind actually; just older. The roast we were served was often leg of two-tooth, two-tooth being a farmers’ reference (my grandmother was raised in southern NSW) to a sheep of more than 12 months, otherwise known as hogget; or sometimes leg of mutton, from a sheep older than two years. Lamb is generally considered more tender … but two-tooth, or mutton, cooked properly, had more flavour. And was larger. We were sti

The taste of tea in the morning.

It was still dark, but the birds were twittering and tweeting. I sat up and realised those verbs didn’t work any more. More perfectly good words gone forever. I felt my way to the kitchen, found the kettle and put it on. Then I switched the light on. I could have done that first, but I hadn’t been able to find the light switch, and the faint light from the east-facing window had led me to the kettle first. That’s what happens in when you’re in an unfamiliar house. At least I hadn’t clocked myself on an overhanging mantel, or a door ajar. The kettle hummed and then clicked off and I poured the water into a brown ceramic teapot over loose leaves of Tuckfields Tynee Tips tea, the name of which product once led to an alliterative jingle that once heard, could never be forgotten. I haven't. * We were staying in a renovated 1940s timber house in the middle of town. It had polished floors, an east-facing kitchen, two bedrooms, and a lounge furnished with comfortable chairs and a b