Skip to main content

Wednesday.

Yesterday at the agency was horrible.

So this morning I called in sick.

But do you think they had the human decency to leave me alone?

The bastards called me three times. I couldn't believe it. I could have been at death's door and they would have had no consideration or sympathy whatsoever. Advertising is truly a cruel industry riddled with uncaring egotists thinking only about themselves.

The first call came on the second fairway, the second call on the fourth, and the third at the seventh hole. When the third call came, I really lost the plot. It totally destroyed my concentration. It was that idiot suit who had dragged me out of bed unnecessarily yesterday. (Of course, I should have turned the phone off, but I was waiting on a call about lunch with a friend from the office who had also called in sick that day, a coincidence that would not go wasted.)

Seeing his name on the screen, I didn't even wait for him to speak. I shouted into the phone (it was quite windy on the course), 'Listen to me, ****, you useless sack of bag-carrying shit. You are the third person to call me this morning despite knowing I have called in sick. Hang on a sec ... ’

A group of golfers behind had caught up and I waved them through.

He started gabbling something about a client (not yesterday's, another one) who had just informed the agency that they were placing their $20 million account under review, but I wasn't going to listen. I just hit the end-call button, cutting him off mid-sentence.

You have to be harsh with these people.

I holed the ball and walked on towards lunch. I was looking forward to it and, indeed, to the rest of the afternoon. And evening. I hadn’t seen her since yesterday, at her desk outside the MD's office. I wondered how he was coping without having his hand held.

Comments