Skip to main content

Fried rice tonight.

I told them I was going to makes tamales or tacos or whatever that so-called Mexican thing is called, but I ended up having a pot of boiled rice left over from ... whatever it was I cooked the night before; and then I told them no, wait, we’re having fried rice tonight and maybe that meat/cheese/avocado/hard or soft cornbread/sour cream thing tomorrow. 

They don’t move continents easily but it had to be done. 

I turned three beaten eggs into a non-stick pan that I had insured with butter anyway and let them set. Then I threw a handful of sliced ham and the same of peas into a wok smoking hot with peanut oil tinged with sesame oil. Then the rice. Toss. Then five spring onions cut on the diagonal, a handful each of beanshoots and grated carrot and a can of small shrimps, drained. Toss. A shake of soy. Sometimes I add a dusting of curry powder. Then the egg sliced over the top. Mexico can wait. 

Comments