Skip to main content

Well, what the hell did I cook last night?

Twenty years and twelve days ago I started writing recipes into an online diary. It was easier than my earlier habit of writing on bits of old paper or on the backs of used envelopes which were then filed inside cookbooks in no particular order. My new online system eliminated the need to find notebooks or paper, or pens for that matter. As a professional writer, I was always running out of these things thanks to my habit of scribbling random thoughts on any white space I could find.

Since that time twenty years and twelve days ago, I have accrued (if that is an appropriate word) three more children; seen one close relative turn from straight to gay, another from gay to straight, and a third from female to male; lost several aunts and uncles signalling the closure of my father's generation; watched a frail, ailing 75-year-old very close relative on thirty pills a day into a frail, ailing 95-year-old on thirty pills a day; fostered fifty greyhounds and adopted a couple; owned ten cars (all second hand); read a thousand books; listened to six million pieces of music; written four books; moved house; walked 40,000 kilometres* (at a conservative average of 40 a week); and lost several aunts and uncles signalling the closure of my father's generation.

Twenty years and twelve days: fewer recipes now, and more ruminations; and posting is more infrequent. Nevertheless this weblog runs to approximately 800,000 words. The Bible has 788,000, something I point out not as a boast but because I'm not sure how I've found the time for all this. It seems impossible. I'm the lazy type. However, despite the introverted nature of the original intention of this online diary, gratitude is due - and given - to those who read my weblog. Thank you.

*Once around the world.

Comments

  1. I continue to read it, two decades later, and greatly enjoy your writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment