Skip to main content

Drug references; sexual innuendo: life in the trigger-warning-free days of the early 1970s.


My sister had brought home Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band and Nashville Skyline among others and then one day in 1970 she came in with a new album by Arlo Guthrie, a little-known (in Australia) country folk artist. Running Down the Road became high rotation on my personal playlist: when she wasn't playing it. My parents had already questioned my taste (or morals, probably) in playing 'Lay Lady Lay' off Nashville Skyline but 'Coming Into Los Angeles' seemed to zoom way over their docile suburban heads. They said nothing while I repeat played side two track one, a master class in guitar, and a sweeping tribute to the music and culture of the '60s - for better and worse. Later, of course, I started buying my own records but my sister's taste remained a strong influence.

*

Hip woman walking on the moving floor
Tripping on the escalator 
There’s a man in the line and she’s blowing his mind 
Thinking that he’s already made her


Comments