Skip to main content

Royal flush.

When we moved house recently, Queen Elizabeth came with us. I drove her down in the back of the Volvo, not exactly a limousine but comfortable and spacious enough.

She had lived in a pot at the old house, with a sunny northerly aspect that seemed to suit her just fine.

But here at the new house, there was a gap in one of the garden beds - a gap that catches the afternoon sun - and I thought of the Queen straight away.

You have to be careful when transplanting roses, of course. Some say you need to prepare the hole months in advance. This hole was prepared a few minutes in advance, by throwing in some Black Gold branded compost (they swear it by at the nursery) and building up a little throne of earth in the middle for her to sit upon.

Then I lifted her gently out of her pot, teased her roots a little and down she went, as gracefully as a crowned monarch can.

Then I tramped on the earth all around her to make sure there were no air pockets, rocked her gently to and fro to make sure she was comfortable and gave her a good watering-in.

Two months later, she is thriving. Today, she is boasting a new flush of beautiful pink flowers and she has vigorous new shoots pointing skywards.

And now there's a nice bunch of pink flowers on the mantlepiece. Thanks, Queen.

Comments

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog (if that was you, as I guessed). I've been reading yours appreciatively, since some time in 2004. Sometimes jealously, too, as now, when you are planting roses, and I am looking out my window at an 8-inch blanket of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lucette. Would an 8-inch blanket of snow act as mulch and stop the weeds?

    If so, I'd gladly trade!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment